RSS

What's Your Potential?

Monday, March 14, 2011

What is your potential? Perhaps, like me, you probably have been told that you have a ton of potential or have had a reference say they same of you. My guess is that you took it as a compliment. I would've too. But is it a compliment? I think not!

Potential is one item that really stirs me up. Whether in myself or in someone else I find myself getting angry at the mention of it. Think about it. What is potential really? I would pose to you that potential is what you are capable of becoming but are not currently.

Wow, what a thought! I'm sure, if you are taking the time to read this, you too see things within yourself that you could become. For whatever reason, you have not yet spent the energy on changing or investing in yourself. But are you ready to make a change? Let's look a few steps that can turn potential to reality.

I believe the first step is to realize that you have a unique potential that no one else has. Sure, you may have things in common with other people. So what are your skills? What excites you? What are you most passionate about in life? These are just a few questions that can get the juices flowing.

Second, take some time to think about who it is that you want to become. What does the end product of "you" look like? I would recommend that you take an inventory listing the skills, experiences and characteristics that are part of your potential. Essentially, this list is a description of what you believe you could look like within the next few weeks, months or even over the next several years.

The third step is to strategize. Like step two, take some more time to think. However, now the direction of your thoughts should be in regard to how you are going to execute. Goals and action steps will help you create a realistic plan that can help you move potential to reality.

Finally, execute. Depending on why the potential you have even exists you may find that this is the most difficult part. I may suggest that this step is one that you can't do on your own. In order to execute many of us find the need for accountability. Why not build accountability into your plan by telling a friend, coworker, or spouse your plan to execute your potential?

How would your life look different if you are able to Realize, Think about, Strategize & Execute your potential into action? Add your comments below.

0 comments: